This is one of a number of historical recipes I am posting from Sydney Baker’s Recipe book that he used at his Restaurant “Sydney’s” in Cape Town. Sydney. Sydney Baker was one of the founders of Fair Lady Magazine and the Fashion Director for over 25 years . He died in Cape Town on November 30th 2013 . He was 80 years old.
Units: US | Metric
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
5 large onions, sliced medium-thick
1/2 cup toasted breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated mild cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Heat bacon drippings in a large skillet.
Add onions and saute until lightly browned.
Place onions in a baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
Drizzle with a little melted butter.
Sprinkle cheese on top.
Bake about 15-20 minutes, or until browned.
- Sydney Baker’s Diplomat Pudding (stephendarorioncooking.wordpress.com)
- Glamour Warmed Over (wvtallchic.wordpress.com)
- My Favorite Meal of the Week- Strata (Egg Casserole Dish) (thepetitecroissant.com)
- Creamed Onions (thegreatamericanfeast.wordpress.com)
- Green Bean Cassarole (cookingwithsweetpea.wordpress.com)
- Pork Wellington (slott717.wordpress.com)
- Finish Your Weekend Right With These Epic Onion Rings (refinery29.com)
- Review: CRASHING INTO YOU by B.D. Rowe (sharonsbooknook.com)
- Cheesy Onion and Potato Gratin (seriouseats.com)
- Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms (camcaneat.com)