Kugel Yerushalmi – Jerusalem Kugel
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 3/4 Tbsp. black pepper
- 1 pound (400 grams) fine egg noodles
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
3. In a pot, bring water, salt and pepper to a boil. Add noodles. Cover pot. Reduce flame to low. Cook until water is absorbed.
4. Your careful attention (be careful not to burn yourself) and patience (don’t leave this unattended) is needed to make the caramel. Place oil and sugar in a light-colored (so you can see the color of the melting sugar), heavy-bottomed saucepan. Heat on medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon. Slowly the sugar will start to turn yellowish-brown and combine with the oil. If the sugar turns dark brown too quickly, turn the heat down. Stir until a bubbly, liquid caramel has formed. Then immediately pour caramel over cooked noodles and continue stirring until thoroughly blended.
5. Let cool for a few minutes. Then add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
6. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) until nicely browned.
7. When done, remove immediately from pan.SERVING SUGGESTIONS: This kugel can be served hot, warm or cold.
NOTE: This recipe got a poor review because someone had trouble making the caramel. I rewrote the caramel instructions above and tested the recipe again. It worked beautifully for me, and my son is enjoying a piece of the kugel right now. According to Bon Appétit Magazine, caramelizing sugar is “one of the trickiest techniques to master.” It may take some practice to get the caramel to the right color (undercooked caramel has a weak flavor and overcooked caramel has a burnt flavor). But once you get the hang of it, making this kugel will be easy for you.
- Pickett (Potato Kugel) (recipegluadys.wordpress.com)
- Recipe: Potato Kugel (wnyc.org)
- Fay Drus’s Cheesecake With Stawberries (stephendarorioncooking.wordpress.com)
- Love at the bottom of the deep-freeze (sittingonmyownsofa.com)
- Sarah Kaplan Drus’s Quick Cottage Cheese Recipe (stephendarorioncooking.wordpress.com)
- The ultimate flan recipe. (fashionfemenia.wordpress.com)
- Fay Drus’s New York Cheesecake (stephendarorioncooking.wordpress.com)
- How to Make Individual Potato Kugel Video (averagebetty.com)
- A Freezing Weekend (littleduckies.wordpress.com)
- Individual Potato Kugel Recipe (averagebetty.com)